7.13.2015

Italy: Days 4-6

On Friday, we checked out of the hotel, in Rome, and traveled to Pompeii, where time stopped in 79 AD, when the eruption of Mount Vesuvius totally destroyed it.  We enjoyed lunch before a guided tour through the city.  I was slightly disappointed that there were so few of the preserved bodies there.  They are actually being cleaned up and maintained, so there were only 3 to look at, which was much less than the last time I visited.  Once we left Pompeii we continued on to Sorrento, my favorite city!  Sorrento is a beautiful city that overlooks the bay of Naples, and the views are stunning!  We had a great evening walking the town, and eating gelato (which was NOT our first time!) and taking in the busy night life and fun shops.  On Saturday (Happy Birthday, America!) day 5, we took a day trip to Naples.  Honestly, this is the only day where I wish I would have stayed back in Sorrento, to have a day of leisure, by the pool or at the beach.  We visited the National Archaeological Museum, which was nice, but not really my thing.  The guide who showed us around there wasn’t quite as exciting as the others we had, so I was a bit bored.  I did enjoying walking into the heart of Naples to shop and pick a spot for lunch, but overall I think staying in Sorrento would have been more up my alley!  That afternoon, however, we were able to get some beach time in, and some swimming in the Tyrrhenian Sea.  That was a lot of fun, and very refreshing!  On Sunday, Day 6 I loaded up on motion sickness pills for a bus ride along the Amalfitan Coast!  What a BEAUTIFUL drive!  I must admit, I was glad I took those pills, as it was a winding and interesting drive!  All of the driving in Italy was interesting, but the drive down the coast takes the cake!  We were able to spend a few hours in Amalfi, which was great, because it’s a beautiful little town.  We then drove back up the coast to catch a boat to Capri!  We arrived in Capri, and we were able to relax by the pool before dinner, which was awesome!


























No comments: