It's been several days since we wrapped up our Whole 30 experience. It was an interesting, yet rewarding 30 days. All three of us, Jeff, Kristi and myself finished the 30 days with no slips and no cheats. Not even a lick of the batter I made for cookie or cupcake orders! It was hard not to try the frosting, since I would be selling the cupcakes, but apparently they tasted just fine! (And can I just note…talk about will power and self control! Wow!) Ok, so a few things overall…It truly was expensive for us. Eating healthy is expensive, but it hit the wallet pretty hard. I'm ok with it, because it's all part of the game, but fresh fruits and veggies add up quickly! Next, I was tired of preparing three meals for each day. I did a lot of prep work on the weekends, and of course the night before, but it still took so much time, and honestly, I'm not very fast in the kitchen, so sometimes it felt like it would take me FOREVER to prepare breakfast and lunch for the next day.
All three of us agree that we felt better, could go longer between meals without wanting to rip someone's head off, or even feeling drop dead hungry. I would get terrible headaches if I didn't eat within a certain amount of time from my last meal, but those have stopped. It's funny how much I ate when I wasn't hungry. That adds up. My clothes fit better, my workouts felt better, all around, I was a happier person. I ended up losing a total of 9 pounds. Weight loss wasn't in the front of my mind for this "experiment", but I am certainly not upset about it! I needed to curb my addiction to sweets, and just certain carbs in general. I could over-do it in that category everyday, and that's just not good. I have to say, honestly, throughout the 30 days I still wanted an ice cream cone, or a cookie, and I thought about it often, and when I had a mini milk shake a few days after we finished up I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, the first few sips were delicious, but I was glad I got the mini size, because it was just a bit too much. (A random side note, we went to Sonic on half price milkshake day as a special treat, and Jeff decided that his new summer challenge would be to get all 25 Sonic milkshake flavors! Yuck! He hasn't quite kept up with that, and some of the flavors sound gross, like jalapeño peanut butter, or is is jalapeño bacon? Who knows, but it's weird!) Anyway…I've been trying my best to still stick to the plan. I feel better when I eat certain things, and it's strange, but I can tell a difference with certain foods. I do think that the yucky feeling comes from overdoing something, which is my own fault, but I still need to recognize when enough is enough. I will have a cookie, or a sweet treat (like chocolate covered banana slices) occasionally, but I think about it, and think if I really need it (usually I think I do, but really, probably not!)
So like I said before, just for the fun of it, read the book, "It Starts With Food" and just see what you think. It's definitely a challenge, but it was actually a fun and strange bonding experience for Jeff, Kristi and I.
No comments:
Post a Comment