1.17.2011

MLK

I am truly happy that I don't have to go to work today, but I have been thinking about how many people take a day like today for granted. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a pretty incredible person. He was brave and smart and such a wonderful leader. I appreciate what he did, and I also appreciate that he is remembered each year.

Every day in school we watch the morning announcements on the TV in the classroom. Each day, we have a minute of silence, which is meant to give students and staff a brief quiet moment to reflect or prepare for the coming day. I have come to really enjoy the minute of silence, especially as a PE teacher, because it's not quiet for the rest of my day. Prior to the minute of silence, one of the "news anchors" (a student) or an administrator reads some "Words of Wisdom". This could be a simple quick story, or a small reminder to treat others the way we want to be treated. This week they spoke about the shootings in Arizona, and then on Friday, the Words of Wisdom were about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. A few of my students made me a little mad, because a few would not stop talking during the Words of Wisdom (I asked them 4 times-yes, I counted) and then they continued to whisper during during the minute of silence. That put me over the edge. I didn't allow them to immediately go get changed for PE like I would any other day. Instead, we had a little talk about life, and respect, and that the world does not revolve around one person. (them!) Ok, so I got on my soapbox a bit. We had a discussion about the things MLK did, and also that it is SO IMPORTANT to show people respect, teachers/adults included. I think I made my point to the group who was talking, and a few of the other kids added some positive remarks in as well.

After that, the kids went and got changed, and I wonder today, if Dr. King has crossed their minds since then. I hope so.

Kristi also had a little chat with her 2nd graders on Friday about the important person Dr. King was. After their discussion she gave them the line:
I have a dream...
and here are a few of their responses:

I have a dream that one day people will not fight or hurt others.

I have a dream that one day war and shooting will stop. There will be peace and happiness will flow around the world.

I have a dream that everyone wouldn’t have to pay for things.

My dream is that there won’t be any more bullying. I also want everyone in the whole world to have a good life.

My dream is to make tax paying lower.

I have a dream to make the world peaceful.

I have a dream that nobody in the world will be bad ever again.

I have a dream that people would not fight.

I have a dream that there will be no more wars.

I have a dream that there will be no more bullies in this school.

I have a dream that no one would be a bully.

I have a dream that everything is free, so that people don’t have to pay for surgery.

I have a dream that it would be peaceful.

I have a dream to make ice cream so the price is lower.

I have a dream to have a clean world (earth).

I have a dream for the earth to be peaceful.

I have a dream that it should be illegal to shoot a person.


These were pretty much un-edited. Some of them make me smile, and some of them make me think...kind of "deep" for a 7-year old. Still, at least they spent a few minutes thinking about how special Dr. King was.
If you've got today off, I hope you enjoy it, and also take a minute to reflect on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
(and if you don't have today off, I sure hope today is a good day for you!) :)

1 comment:

katie k-h said...

love that, michele! ; )

hope you had a great day. i think wrestling season for you is a lot like tax season for us. (yuck!)

i'm loving the cooking blog that you introduced me to, by the way...

take care-

katie