As you know, Anna decided to arrive about a week late. I had an appointment on Saturday morning for another non-stress test and to visit with my doctor about my options if she really didn't want to come on her own! The tests went great, and he told me I was "safe" to remain pregnant for a few more days based on those tests. While I was being monitored my contractions were about 7 minutes apart, and not really that big of a deal. The nurse assured us that we'd be back before my next scheduled appointment, which was Monday, but both Jeff and I kind of laughed it off, because we had been hearing that for nearly two weeks!
I had a good day at home, got lots done, went for a walk, and just enjoyed the nice day. I was having pretty regular contractions, but nothing worth timing, and nothing very painful.
I started to really notice my contractions a little after 9:00 pm. I told Jeff that I wanted to shower...who knows why!?! I had already showered that morning, but I guess I wanted the warm water to soothe me? We started timing contractions at 9:12, and although I was quite unwilling, we left for the hospital at 10:00. My mom came over from Kristi's and both her and Jeff encouraged me to go, because contractions were between 2-3 minutes apart and getting stronger. I, on the other hand, did not want to get there and have them tell me I was only 4 cm or that I wasn't ready to be admitted! Of course, we hit every single red light in town on our way to the hospital! (I'm sure Jeff was dying inside, because the contractions were about a minute apart at this point!) We pulled into a parking spot at 10:15, and I could barely walk myself to labor and delivery. I was moving VERY slowly! I told Jeff I felt like I needed to push soon, and (of course, probably dying again!) he told me I was ok, and no, I don't need to push! (Haha...like he would know!) I probably arrived at L&D about 10:20ish...a nice nurse who was coming our way noticed I was laboring heavily and went back to grab a wheel chair. She brought the biggest wheel chair I had ever seen! It was WIDE! Jeff got a chuckle out of it, and made some joke, that I can't recall, probably because at the time I didn't think it was too funny! They had Jeff quickly do the paperwork side of things while they took me to triage to get me set up and check me. There wasn't much setting up going on, because she immediately checked me and declared me at nearly 7cm with a "bulging bag of water". (sorry if that grosses you out!) I had not had any bleeding or water leaking at all. Ok, so hang with me here...now it's probably like 10:30ish, and I'm just getting into a delivery room. Jeff was there waiting for me, and there were probably 6 nurses all scurrying around getting things set up. At this point, there is still no doctor. (I know he has been called, because I heard them talking to him on the phone.) I tell the nurses again I want to push, she checks me, says I'm at 10 cm, and if I really feel like I have to push I can on the next contraction. My water still had not broken. The nurse tries three times to break it, and then finally on the fourth try she is successful and there comes Anna at 10:42 pm. I realize it took me forever to tell you that story...but it honestly happened much faster than that! :) My doctor arrived probably about 7 or 8 minutes after Anna was here, and I promptly apologized for not waiting for him! He gave me a smile, and then made sure I was ok, and had to stitch me up. She came so fast, and with barely 2 pushes I had a very basic tear.
We were moved into our room in the Mother/Baby Unit by 12:30, and I think both of us still had adrenaline pumping through us like crazy! It was quite the experience, and I know Jeff is happy we left for the hospital when we did, because he wouldn't have been too good at delivering a baby!
I feel blessed to have had such a quick labor. It was hard and intense at points, but to be real honest, it was better than the 12 hour process with Claire! :) My body is recovering quite well, and I feel good. I know it's only a matter of time before my hormones start making me a little weepy, which will probably really happen when my mom goes home! :) But honestly, things are so far, so good.
As far as Anna's name...my great-grandmother's name was Anna. And, you probably know the story with Valentine. So, there you have it...Anna was a week late, but decided when she was ready to come, she'd do it in a hurry!

No comments:
Post a Comment