*disclosure: for some, this account might be a bit too personal, or slightly "graphic", so consider this your warning, and read on at your own risk!
You know how you plan something in your mind, or expect something to happen a certain way? (ok, maybe you don't do that, but I most certainly do!) I can start this whole story by saying that Claire's arrival was nothing like I thought it would be, or I planned in my head. (A perfect reminder that there is someone WAY more in charge than me!)
Sunday, October 30th was a typical Sunday for us. We went to church, went to the grocery store, and even stopped by school for Jeff to double check his sub-plans, just incase. I made some beef vegetable soup (which would haunt me later!) and watched football. Kristi came over to hang out with us and when she walked in she said, "Look what I picked up on the side of the road..." Well, my mind was racing, thinking what in the world did she find? I was thinking she picked up some random piece of trash that could be a treasure! Boy was I wrong! In walked my mom! I was shocked, and thrilled! She said she wanted to come down just to hang out with me and help me do some things around the house before little Claire made her appearance. We made a list of all the things I wanted to do on Monday, which was my first day off from school. I bet you can see where this is going...
Kristi and my mom went back to Kristi's for the night, with plans for my mom and I to meet up Monday morning. Well, at about 9 pm, I started noticing "pains" that I hadn't really felt my entire pregnancy. I also noticed that I was bleeding. I figured if it was something, I'd figure it out, and decided to head to bed. That didn't last too long! I started timing my contractions, and woke Jeff up, who was dozing on the couch. The contractions weren't too bad, but definitely real. They started coming about every 5 minutes, which is when they say you should head to the hospital. I told Jeff throughout my entire pregnancy that I did not want to get to the hospital too soon- so we kept waiting!
We arrived at the hospital at about midnight, and to be 100% real and honest with you, when the nurse checked me and told me I was barely 3 cm but my contractions were 2-4 minutes apart, I was devastated! How could my contractions be coming so close together, but I was barely making progress?! At that point, I wanted to cry! I didn't....but I wanted to! So, the nurse sent us on our way to walk, walk, walk! She said that would move things along. She said come back to her in about an hour and a half. I told Jeff we weren't going back there until that hour and a half was up, no matter how miserable I was! Little did I know how miserable I'd get! Of course the contractions weren't a walk in the park, but when I started throwing up, that's when I got the most miserable! Basically I was contracting and throwing up at the same time, in the middle of the hospital lobby. Good thing it was 1 am, and it was basically empty. (besides that poor old man, who probably didn't know what to think of me!)
So that was the start of a VERY long night. After we were settled in the room where I'd deliver, and I was still throwing up, the nurse gave me some anti-nausea medicine. Thank goodness for that! I finally stopped throwing up, and just had to concentrate on my contractions. Jeff was a wonderful support for me. He was calm, patient and encouraging. He never annoyed me or said anything that made me want to holler at him! I can't really explain just how long of a night it was, and I can't tell you exactly when they checked me again and told me I was 6 cm. The doctor came in sometime early Monday morning and checked me, but didn't want to break my water just yet, because he had to go preform a c-section, and he didn't want to risk me progressing quickly and him not being available when she was ready to arrive!
I'm once again not exactly sure of the time, I think sometime around 9:30 or so he came back and broke my water, and I was at 9 cm. After that it wasn't too long that I was able to start pushing. That was hard work! Jeff tells me I pushed for about 40 minutes or so, and then promptly at 11:02 am on October 31st, Claire made her appearance! (Again, never thought she'd arrive on Halloween!)
After she arrived, my placenta didn't want to "arrive"! Strange way to put it, right?! Anyway, the doctor had some trouble getting my placenta to detach, so it was a good bit of time that he was working to be sure it all came out, and he stitched me up and made sure I was good to go. Of course, it all worked out fine, I was good, and so was Claire. She was exactly 8 pounds and 20 1/4 inches long.
Little did I know how quickly I'd forget the pain of the contractions and the pushing. Little did I know how I might want to go through that again just to have a full night's sleep! :) (ok, well, maybe not, but some sleep would be nice!) Having a child is life changing, in so many ways. Jeff and I are truly blessed to have a healthy little girl.
Overall, labor was not a "nightmare-ish" experience for me, it was as good as being in labor can be! The nurses were absolutely wonderful and my experience was positive. I didn't think that I would be in labor all night, never in a million years did I think that! I knew I didn't want an epidural, and I am proud that I didn't have one. I look forward to one day giving Claire a brother or sister....just not yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment